Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Spirit

So we have had a full week, as can be expected with a new little one at home. However, I have never felt overwhelmed or like it was too much. Maybe that's because Justin was home to help, but even when I had both kids to myself I felt alright. We did have help with dinners at the beginning of the week, which was very nice. Both of my visiting teachers are pregnant, and one of them went into labor two weeks early and delivered her little boy the same day I did. My other visiting teacher was great, especially since she has three girls already at home! Our home teachers were nice as well, they took Levi one afternoon for a play-date with their 3-year-old boy. All in all it was a good but full week.

We have been doing our best to curb Levi's acting out, which dramatically increased when Hazel came, as expected. We have been trying to give him the attention he needs without missing Hazel's constant needs. I even had a moment today to take Levi to run some errands with me one on one. He seemed to really enjoy his mommy time too, and I think it helped his behavior the rest of the day. He does love his sister though as he still showers her with kisses and cute comments like, 'Don't be sad Hazel.' and 'Oh, poor baby Hazel.' Even when we had our one on one time today he asked a few times, 'Where's baby Hazel?' He is a very sweet older brother! One attention getting antic was tonight when he found the jar of Vaseline I'm using for Hazel and smeared it all over the front of him, literally from head to toe! His socks were covered, and it didn't end until his hair (which had a few globs). I was in the shower with Hazel at the time, and I'm not sure what Justin was doing, but I know we've all had those moments where we look away for a minute and a disaster happens. Unfortunately for him the hot water was almost gone so half his shower was in luke-warm water. He was not happy. I just reminded him that this is what happens when we make such big messes. I think it'll still take a couple more showers to get it all out of his hair though.


Hazel has been a complete delight and joy! She would be classified as an 'easy' baby for sure. I am not trying to brag, and please remember that I did have a fussy and harder baby with Levi, so I'm not without sympathy for those who have hard babies. She is eating about every three hours during the day, and sleeps anywhere from 4-6 hours at a time at night. Levi was up every two hours on the dot, so I know those nights! She doesn't cry much, and when she does it is the sweetest little cry. I don't know if its because I see it differently because she is a girl or what, but it seems everything she does is sweet and precious. As I said she is an absolute joy in our home, and has made the transition for us so easy. She lost her umbilical cord remnant yesterday, so she got her first bath. Unlike Levi who screamed the whole time his first time, she loved every minute! I didn't even have to use a towel to keep her warm. She sat and licked at the water falling down during the shower and fell asleep during the bath. She must be a woman! Justin says its because I took at least one or two showers a day when I was pregnant with her, but who knows! All in all she is more than making up for the hard pregnancy that I had.


We have been out and about a little this week, and even made it to Christmas Storybook Land in Albany twice. Essentially it is a large display of a vast variety of small scenes from children's stories; from Disney to Mother Goose. They have lots of Christmas trees decorated with lights, and a model train display. I'll give you one guess at to Levi's favorite part! Trains! It is something he asks for every day. He's a boy, he loves trains! At the end is Santa. Levi sat on his lap without crying, but this year he played shy. Another thing Levi is enamored with is Christmas lights, so we have been taking him to the Pepsi plant here in Corvallis that has a big light display. There is a radio tower right by it that they turned into a huge tree with lights. Levi calls it the volcano. So every day he begs us to take him to see the volcano. We've indulged him many times, but I can't seem to do it every night.

We went and had a professional photo taken this week as well. My mom got a coupon for a free sitting with one 5x7 photo free, and she gave it to us. Levi, who usually loves to have his picture taken, was shy the whole time, and we had to bribe and prod to get anything out of him. Luckily my mom was there to help, I don't think we would have got even one shot without her. I'll post the picture when we get it back, but we don't even get to see the pictures until next week.

As for the happy parents, I am healing nicely and seem to be doing just fine with daily tasks. I think once Justin goes back to work I will have my real test, but I have no worries. Justin does head back to work next week, and will be back hardcore! He said he is ready to really bust it out while he is off from school. This will be very helpful during the holiday season.


Well, thank you to all who sent cards, gifts, or even just stopped by or called to say hello. We appreciate all of you and all that you do! We love you all and wish you the best Christmas!

2 comments:

The Deans said...

Sounds like you all are adjusting well! I am glad that she is a mellow baby for you!

Haley said...

I'm glad you guys are doing so well. Thanks for the Christmas card! We are really excited to see you guys next week!