Sunday, August 12, 2007

Alas the Life of a Mother With An 18-Month-Old.

On Saturday we got to go swimming and took some more underwater pictures...



As adults we take some luxuries for granted. Such as walking, talking, and being able to use a toilet at free will. This last one has really opened my eyes as of late. I've heard horror stories from my siblings about their toddlers potty-training and smearing poop on carpets and such. I figured I would still have about two more years before I had to worry about that. Let me assure you this fascination with feces starts long before potty-training. Yesterday evening Levi was peacefully eating his dinner and then watching one of his shows. I started to smell something funky, so I went and got his wipes and a new diaper. I laid him on the carpet and started taking off his onesie to change him when I noticed there was poop on his leg. I cleaned it up fast before he could reach down and grab at it (which is the normal occurrence). Then, as I am pulling his shirt up to undo the diaper, I notice the poop is all up his back. Now, since he has been laying down it has soaked through the shirt and is on the carpet. Luckily my carpet is dark brown, so you couldn't see it, but you could sure smell it. So I carefully pulled off his shirt and set it aside. I let Levi stand up and then grabbed the shirt so it would not further embed in the carpet. Well then Levi runs to the sofa and tries to climb up. Luckily for me he had no poop on his front so this didn't do any damage. However, when I told him to stop because he had poopies on his back he reached around and grabbed his backside, covering his hands in poop. When he pulled them forward he must have thought it was war paint because he smeared it on his belly. Well, I already knew he was destined for a bath, so I took his straight to the shower, took off his diaper, and let him sit in the running shower for a bit while I cleaned up a little. I then went in there and hosed him down. Once he was clean I got him out and put him in PJ's. I then proceeded to clean out the shower as it had specks of poop everywhere. While I was cleaning Levi tripped and bonked his head on the corner of the door. I stopped cleaning and held him until he calmed down again. Then I finished cleaning the shower. My next move was to clean the floor where the shirt had leaked the poop. While I was scrubbing Levi thought it would be nice to throw books off the shelf, leaving yet another mess for me to pick up. I then washed my hands as Levi continuously flushed the toilet over and over again. When I was done cleaning I made him some oatmeal and milk for bedtime. This time Levi ran amuck in the kitchen, turning on the stove, oven, dishwasher, anything in reach really! By nine o'clock I finally had him in bed and asleep! Wish I could have joined him! Alas the life of a mother with an 18-month-old.

The last couple nights Levi has been waking up screaming. I think he may be having nightmares or something. We thought at first he was scared of the dark, but we have tried plenty of nightlights and they don't do the trick. However, leaving him in there screaming his head off isn't an option... neighbors complain. Alas the life of a mother with an 18-month-old.

Yesterday morning Justin took Levi to the riverfront to throw rocks into the water and see the geese and ducks. He loved it! Justin said he kept running in the water and yelling and throwing rocks! What a cutie! Aww, the life of a mother with an 18-month-old.

Today we went and picked blackberries near-by, and Levi thought this idea was wonderful. He picked all sorts of berries (whether they were ripe or not) and then threw them on the ground or squished them in his hands. Aww, the feeling of berries between your fingers! We got quite a bit, and I have enough to give some to my mom who likes to make jam. We had to leave church early today because Levi was screaming again. So we went for a Sunday drive. We took the back roads up to Independence and then through Ankeny Hill Wildlife Refuge. It was a great drive, and we decided to make a tradition of Sunday drives!

Our car is acting up again, so Justin and I have decided we need to trade it in. We are going to look at a few dealers tomorrow in hopes to find a good deal on a Kia. Hopefully we'll find something more reliable for us!

1 comment:

Zach 'n' Jack said...

I am so impressed that Levi will go underwater and hold his breath and everything!! That is amazing! We haven't lived by a pool until just this year, and since I had Kayden right at the start of the warm weather.... Keegan is nervous around the pool still. I can't wait til he warms up to it like Levi!