Thursday, August 16, 2007

Just the Usual


Yesterday I got a letter in the mail from Staples. I used to work for them, so I decided I should open it. It contained information about a man who is suing Staples. He was a former employee and he claims that Staples did not comply with Oregon wage and work hour laws. Because he is saying this for all of Oregon, everyone who was employed by Staples during the time period that he worked there in the state of Oregon can take part in the settlement. This would include me. The settlement will be decided until September 11, and any payouts mailed on October 11. So, I mailed off my form saying I would like to participate. After all, when I worked there I was often asked to work through my breaks and forced to take a lunch late or not at all. As for wages I only got a 5 cent raise in the two years I was there, even though minimum went up 50 cents over that time (I was getting more than minimum to begin with). If they win the settlement I could get anywhere from $320 to $450! It just seems that so much is looking up for Justin and I! We are so thankful for all we've been given!

Levi is learning more and more words, even if he doesn't say them. He can understand what you are saying if you use short sentences and words he knows. Like Justin will ask him if he wants to bounce, and he smiles and says, 'Yes!' The same goes true for enforcing punishments. Justin and I are really cracking down on consequences with him because he seems to think he can do anything he wants. When he throws tantrums we send him to his room until he calms down. We have also been doing 30 second time outs, which I'm not sure works with him yet. But if he is misbehaving and you ask him if he wants to go to his room he adamantly says, 'No!' It's cute, but I'm just glad something is working. As for his screeching we are trying to ignore it. Everything we've read says you just need to ignore that behavior, and hope it goes away. We are also changing our Sunday routine of letting him leave Sacrament and play in the nursery. From now on when he misbehaves in Sacrament we take him out and sit with him until he is calm. Last Sunday I had to leave the building because he was screaming so loud, and we had to leave church early because he wouldn't calm down. I hope after that and all we've been working on this week with him, we won't have a repeat this Sunday.

No comments: